Time and information are two valuable resources when working on both personal and business projects. That is why taking measures that help increase productivity and maximize security when using email is very convenient.
Email platforms are no longer a simple environment for sending and receiving digital messages. Currently, they have become an operations center that offer complementary tools for information management.
Making efficient use of mailing and protecting this valuable space is strictly necessary in these highly competitive times, where truthful and timely communication is extremely relevant.
How to use emails optimally?
You probably spend a lot of time reading and answering emails, and that’s valuable time that you could be spending on other strategic activities.
Optimizing the use of emails will allow you to have greater control over the dedication you give to that task; here are some tips that you could apply:
Only send emails in appropriate cases
The different communication formats must be used appropriately according to the situations. For example, in cases where an immediate response is required, it is best to make a phone call, if it is a complex or delicate matter, the mail is not the ideal medium either.
On the other hand, the use of emails is especially appropriate to make requests, formalize agreed points and keep a record of what was discussed.
Set times of the day to check your inbox
By reserving and respecting specific intervals of time per day for reviewing emails, you can focus on other tasks. For this, it is advisable to deactivate alerts such as popups and notification sounds that attract your attention to the email manager outside of the stipulated hours.
Write objective, clear and concrete messages
Writing punctual emails helps to avoid misinterpretations or cause loss of interest in reading.
Communicating in a professional language, considering grammar rules and punctuation marks, as well as style and structure, adds credibility and respect to yourself. Relying on elements such as images, videos or links, adds value to the message and facilitates its understanding.
Unsubscribe from unwanted subscriptions
Many of the emails that are received come from subscriptions to pages. Perhaps at one time it was information of interest, but if it is not the case today, unsubscribing will help you keep an uncluttered mailbox.
Email security tips
Another no less important aspect when using email is security. And although email service companies usually provide data protection mechanisms, taking your own measures never hurts. Some suggestions are:
- Disables automatic image loading.
- Avoid accessing your email account through public Wi-Fi networks.
- Keep the operating systems and antivirus of your electronic devices updated.
- Use email platforms that provide encryption methods, thus ensuring that information remains confidential.
- Periodically delete the cache and history of your browser, also ignore the “save passwords” option.
- Pay special attention to the extension of the attached files, if it is an .exe file make sure it is what you expect to receive and from a reliable source.
- Do not include personal data, bank information or passwords in your emails.
- Change your password frequently.
- Enable the anti-spam filter.
- When sending a message to several contacts, use blind copying (Bcc) to protect the addresses of the recipients.
One last recommendation: share the practices you decide to implement with team members and collaborators. Maintaining high standards in optimal email usage will certainly boost productivity. As well as preventive actions in terms of security, they will minimize potential threats from cyberattacks.