Learn step by step everything you need to do to create your own blog easily.
Blogs have become increasingly popular and an excellent option to generate extra income. Surely you have already thought about creating your own blog but you have stopped due to lack of knowledge or time.
Actually, creating a blog is not as difficult and as time consuming as you might think and with the right guide in no time you will be able to have your blog running.
In this article I am going to teach you step by step exactly what you must do to create your blog.
Steps to create a blog:
Choose a topic and name for the blog
Before starting to create and configure your blog, it is important that you are clear about the objective and subject of your blog.
The best option is to choose a topic that you like and that you have a lot of knowledge on because this will make it easier for you to create quality content.
Tech, fashion, cooking and entertainment blogs are some of the most popular today. Once you have the subject, it’s time to choose the domain name for your blog.
As I’ve mentioned before, the domain is the unique and special name with which you will be identified on the Internet. The domain name should reflect the theme of your blog and, preferably, should be short and easy to remember.
We want people to remember our blog!
If you want more tips to choose a domain name, you can read the article: How to choose a functional domain name?
Register your domain
Once you have selected your name, it is time to register your domain. There are several domain registrars; some of the most popular ones are GoDaddy, Akky, Neubox and HostGator.
Below I show you the steps to register your domain:
- Check domain availability
Write the domain name in the search engine to check if it is available.
- Choose the rate that best suits your needs
You can register your domain for 1, 5 or 10 years.
- If you don’t have it yet, create an account in Akky
- Confirm the registration details
- You can choose some of the additional services such as Advanced Security or Custom DNS.
- Confirm your personal information
- Choose your payment method
In this part of the process it is important that you apply the coupon to receive the discount
- Lastly, confirm the voucher information as well as the rest of the information
Choose your platform
Now that you have registered your domain, it is time to choose the platform that you will use to create your blog.
Although there are currently many platforms available (such as Blogger, Wix, Medium or LiveJournal), WordPress is still the number one option.
WordPress allows you to create a free blog on a global platform and also gives you the option to download all the files to make an open source software installation on your own server.
In addition, WordPress has a very friendly platform to upload content.
Create your blog
Below I present the steps to create and configure your blog with WordPress.
- Enter the WordPress page and select the option that says “start with a blog”
- Write the name or keywords for your blog if you don’t already have a domain. If you have already registered your domain, click on “Do you already have your own domain?”
- Select the plan that best suits your needs
- Create your WordPress account with an email and password
- You will receive a confirmation email to activate your blog
- Now you can start customizing your blog, choosing a theme
- Now you are ready to write your first entry!
Start uploading your content
Once you have created and configured your blog, it is time to start uploading content.
As I have mentioned before, the WordPress platform is very user-friendly so the process of uploading new posts is very simple.
Here are the steps for you to upload and post your first article:
- In the menu look for the option “Posts” and click on “Add New”
- On the top line write the title of your article. Try to keep your title short
- Now in the lower white box you can start writing your body of text
- To edit and adjust your post, you can use the toolbar above the text box
- If you want to insert an image to your post you must click on “Add Media”. There you can select and upload an image from your files
- Once you upload your image it is important that you add its metadata, especially the “Alt Text” information. This will help improve the SEO of your post. Finally click on “Insert into post” to add the image
- Finally when your post is ready to be published, click on the “Publish”
A blog can be an excellent tool to publicize your business or project. Also, as I have shown you, creating a blog is not that complicated, it just takes a little planning and time.