An SSL certificate is an element that should certainly not be missing among the security measures implemented on your website.
It is clear that people are increasingly careful when accessing information on the internet. Even more so when it comes to carrying out actions that involve the registration of your personal or bank details.
That is why you have to offer a safe and reliable site is convenient to attract visitors and promote interaction of them with your site, and other things.
What is an SSL certificate?
Before explaining the reasons why every website should have an SSL certificate, let’s remember what it is all about. SSL is the acronym corresponding to Secure Socker Layer”. This is nothing more than a communications protocol that is responsible for encrypting information.
SSL establishes a secure channel between the browser and the site server that the user wants to visit. The data sent through this channel is encrypted and then when it reaches its destination, it is decrypted and delivered in its original format. In this way, in case some undesired intervention happens during this process and the information is stolen, it would be totally illegible and useless.
This procedure is especially appropriate to protect confidential user data such as passwords and emails when filling out a form or during logins. Like, when making online purchases where it is necessary to supply something susceptible, as the data of a credit card.
Benefits of using an SSL certificate on your website
- Guarantees data security. Specialized and recognized providers are those who are responsible for the privacy of the data exchange on your website, certifying the use of effective encryption techniques.
- Avoid phishing and malware. Because the information can only be read by the sender and the receiver, phishing attacks that try to impersonate the identity of the original website are avoided. As well as, the risk of hacking by an attacker who tries to enter in that course of data transmission is minimized. And last but not least, an SSL certificate verifies that there is no malicious software on the site.
- Confirm the legitimacy of your website. The highest level SSL (Extended Validation), verifies that the web corresponds to a physical person or company, also the activity to which it is dedicated. This guarantees that the site belongs to a real and legally constituted entity.
- It shows the security status of the site at a glance. Just look at the icon to the left of the URL to notice the closed padlock that indicates that the site is secure. Additionally, it is possible to check the level of privacy of the connection by clicking on the padlock. Another way to easily identify that a page has SSL is by using the “https” protocol instead of “http”, which can be seen at the beginning of its web address.
- Contributes to improve SEO. Google gives importance to secure pages, probably in the not too distant future this will become an essential requirement to achieve a good position in the results lists of browsers.
After all, the benefits of using an SSL certificate can be seen as a very precious fact for business owners and website administrators: generating trust. Which in turn leads to: increase traffic, increase browsing time on your website and convert prospects to customers or subscribers.
Finally, there is no doubt that SSL is a fundamental support for achieving the final objective of your company.