There are people who can spend hours in front of a screen, so facilitating their stay on your website is possible if you have clear and legible font.
As Beatrice Warde, a famous 20th century writer and typographer said, “Typography must be clear and beautiful for the sake of communication.” Choosing the correct font is an art and is a factor that influences the correct reading of the content found on your website.
Despite the fact that, previously, typography was the duty of those who specialized in it, with digitization it is easier to mold and use fonts by those who did not study it. Especially if they have a website.
In fact, beyond those sets of letters, lines and circles is a universe of emotions and a lot of discipline.
Therefore, in order for visitors to spend more time on the page and to read the texts in an easier way, the programmer or whoever is in charge of the page should consider certain aspects such as font style, size, line length, line spacing and letter spacing.
Websites generally have 14-16 pixel-sized font. The reason is because it is accessible to read both on computers, laptops and mobile devices
The color of the font depends a lot on the design you have on your page. However, it is best to use a dark color on a white background to make the letters easier to distinguish.
According to Webtematica, some of the best fonts for web pages in 2018 are the following:
• Roboto: due to its clean design, it is recommended for sites that have a lot of traffic from mobile devices.
• Montserrat: it is simple and suitable for headings.
• Open Sans: one of the most used by Google Fonts for its clean and accessible design that is readable in both web printing and mobile devices.
• Droid Sans Serif: its clear image makes it suitable for headings and body text.
• Source Sans Pro: a font recommended for long text extensions because it has a font that is neither too heavy nor too compact.
• PT Sans: was born as a Russian project with the aim of facilitating reading in this language.
• Varela Round: it is round, smooth and readable for small formats such as tablets and mobile devices.
Christian Holt mentions some suggested lengths in his article Readability: the optimal line lenght: they must be 50 to 65 or 75 characters. However, there are others like Ilene Strizver who think that if the text is not justified, it should be between 9 and 12 words per line. On the other hand, if it is, it must be 12 to 15 words.
Do not cause confusion! To explain concepts and information it is important to have texts with short paragraphs. As for line spacing and letter spacing, this is handled by either the page or font you choose.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things, after all, the rules are made to be broken. However, always keep in mind that reading on screens is not an easy task, so if users find it difficult to do so, they probably will leave before the end of the first paragraph.